The University of California, Berkeley, in collaboration with Bay Area school districts and other partners, offers Leadership Support Program (LSP), a Professional Clear Administrative Services Credential program.
LSP is the longest-running university-based induction program in California, supporting leaders since 2002. Participants in LSP include new administrators who have graduated from the UC Berkeley’s Principal Leadership Institute and other leaders from the Bay Area and across California.
To induct and support a diverse community of school leaders who will improve California’s public schools that serve vulnerable and historically underserved students, with a particular focus on issues of equity and social justice.
The first years of a leader’s journey are often the most challenging, and novice leaders need systematic, intensive support in order to learn and grow. Through a set of structured opportunities and activities that promote serious, reflective practice, LSP participants deepen their understanding and refine their skills as educational leaders.
LSP enriches the leader’s ability to maintain focus on student and adult learning in urban schools. LSP leaders are distinctive because they:
- Reflect on their own leadership identity, actions, and impact
- Cultivate a collaborative school community
- Build on student, family, and community assets
- Create coherence and stability in ever-changing contexts
- Use an equity and social justice compass to inform decisions
- Inspire organizational actors to achieve durable academic, social, and civic participation outcomes for urban learners
Our work is centered on the Leadership Connection Rubric, which exemplifies both a set of beliefs and clear outcomes for preparing, supporting and sustaining leaders. The LC Rubric aligns with and encompasses the California Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (CPSELs), with a specific emphasis on equity and social justice.
The two-year program includes:
- Intensive one-on-one Coaching: 40 hours/year
- Learning plan (IIP): personalized goal-setting focused on the Leadership Connection Rubric
- Monthly Seminars: cohort-based professional learning and collaboration
- Site-based inquiry projects: implementing change in Curriculum/Instruction and Time Use
- Differentiated learning opportunities: workshops, online learning modules
$9000 ($8000 for UC Berkeley PLI alumni) for the two-year program.
Applications are now open! To apply for the next LSP cohort (2020-2022). Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.
Interested candidates must:
- Hold a leadership administrative position
- Possess (or have applied for) a valid California Preliminary Administrative Service Credential or a Variable Term Waiver
LSP is also available to those who live and work in the Los Angeles area. Known as LSPO, the program is offered in partnership with the Principal Leadership Institute at UCLA Center X and features the same commission-approved program content and components, but with online Seminars and coaching based in LA.
LSPO requires a different application process than the one above. Alumni of UCLA PLI and other LA area school leaders interested in LSPO should follow directions here or contact Dee Dee Lonon, UCLA Site Manager.