Apply to DTE
Many of your questions are answered with our Frequently Asked Questions.
Please also visit the Graduate School of Education's Admissions page for more information and the online admissions application.
Desired qualifications in order to be considered a strong candidate for DTE program
- Commitment to pursuing issues of equity in classrooms, schools, and communities.
- Experience working with elementary school children, preferably in a public school setting.
- Strong interest in understanding child development as a basis for elementary teaching.
- Desire to explore the interplay between theory and reflective practice.
Requirements for admission to the DTE program include
- Undergraduate degree with 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) or higher after the first two years of college.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation - including one academic and one describing work with elementary age children (mandatory). Letters should comment on your potential for success as a classroom teacher, as well as academic potential for graduate work.
Required of all candidates
- Pass CSET Multiple Subjects Examinations I, II and III.
In addition, pick one of the following two options:
- CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test). Applicants residing outside of California and Oregon may take CBEST after admission and arrival in California.
- CSET Writing Examination Multiple Subject
To learn more about the supplemental credential exams and ways to satisfy each requirement visit https://gse.berkeley.edu/
Applying to the DTE program
- CSET (California Subject Examinations for Teachers) is required of all applicants to programs leading to a multiple or single subject teaching credential. Please upload a PDF scan of your official score report into the online application. Your application will not be considered for admission if you have not taken the CSET by January, 2017. However, we strongly recommend that the CSET be taken by the application deadline.
- Apply to the UC Berkeley Graduate Division. (Select Education-Teaching Credential: Cred/MA for program)
- For incoming students who want to be considered for summer financial aid packages, we strongly encourage you to file FAFSA forms for 2016/17 AND 2017/18.
Other qualifications that may enhance your application to the DTE program
We believe that DTE candidates learn as much from one another as they do from our faculty, and thus strive to build a diverse cohort that bring a range of outside interests, life experiences, and undergraduate majors to their academic and professional work in teaching. The qualifications below may enhance an applicant's chance for admission:
- Inclusion of a personal/professional resume with your application
- Devotion to examining and rethinking personal assumptions
- Cross-cultural living experience in the United States or abroad
- Fluency in a language other than English
- Familiarity with educational technology
- Personal experience in the visual or performing arts