Rebecca Cheung is the Executive Director of the GSE's Leadership Programs, comprising the Principal Leadership Institute and LEAD Ed.D. In addition to her responsibilities and teaching in the GSE, Dr. Cheung regularly contributes to the broader educational landscape at the local, state, and international level. She has served as a member of several advisory and working groups convened by the California Teacher Credential Commission and the California Department of Education and also served in advisory capacities to local schools and museums. Dr. Cheung has also served as an international consultant on issues related to principal preparation and educational leadership.
Prior to joining UC Berkeley in 2011, Rebecca worked for over 15 years in Oakland Unified School District and Berkeley Unified School District as a teacher, vice principal, elementary principal and middle school principal, and Director of Evaluation and Assessment. Rebecca earned her doctorate from the Graduate School of Education at UC Berkeley in 2008. In 2013, she was named an Emerging Leader by Phi Delta Kappan, a program that recognizes innovators, thought leaders, problem solvers, and change agents who are making a difference in the field of education.
- Cheung, R., Reinhardt, T., Stone, E., & Little, J. W. (2018). Defining teacher leadership: A framework. Phi Delta Kappan, 100(3), 38–44. https://doi.org/10.1177/0031721718808263
- Kearney, K., Mattson, H., Cheung, R., & Makkonen, R. (2018). Initial impact of the California Administrator Performance Assessment (CalAPA) policy on preparation programs: Executive Summary. San Francisco, CA: WestEd. https://www.wested.org/resources/california-administrator-performance-assessment-calapa-policy/
- Consultant, Centro de Desarrollo de Liderazgo Educativo, National Center for Leadership Preparation, Universidad Diego Portales, ChileMember, California Administrator Performance Assessment Design Team
- Co-Lead, State Superintendent Torlakson’s Educator Excellence Task Force, Induction Subcommittee
- Kearney, K, & Mattson, H., Cheung, R, Makkonen, R. (2018) Study of the Initial Impact of the California Administrator Performance Assessment (CalAPA) Policy on Preparation Programs, West Ed.
- Lead Applicant, Oakland Language Acquisition through Science, California Department of Education
- Secondary Applicant, Building Oakland Leadership for the Teaching of Science, California Department of Education
- Tredway, L., Cheung, R., Nguyen, V. et al (2015) Leadership connection rubric: Supporting equity in the schools we need. Second edition. Berkeley: University of California. http://principals.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/docs/pli/LCRubric%20Second%20Edition_Web.pdf
- Cheung, R. (2015) A Model of leadership induction for California: A candidate’s perspective of the Leadership Support Program at University of California, Berkeley. Retrieved from http://principals.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/LSPWhitePaper.FinalWeb.April2015.pdf.
- Member, Administrative Services Credential Coaching/Induction Workgroup, California Teacher Credential Commission
- Grubb, W.N., Liao, P., & Cheung, R. (2015) How do you evaluate leadership? Principal Leadership 15(8), 30-35.
- Cheung, Rebecca E. (2009). Tension between students and teachers in urban high schools. Phi Delta Kappan V.19 N.3., 53-56.
Interests and Professional Affiliations
School Data Analysis