Payment for Services Request Form

The campus has restrictions on the types of services which are payable, as well as who can be paid for services rendered. Certain types of payment for services cannot be processed by the BSO, but must be requisitioned through the campus’ Procurement & Business Contracts Office. It is a best practice, before any payment agreement is made, to first contact your Budget Administrator. <See:>. Your Budget Administrator can help determine whether and how an individual can be paid.

A UC Berkeley Substitute W-9 & Supplier Information Form has been added in all the attachments below for any individual/vendor who needs to be added in the payment system or, who are already in the payment system but their address needs to be updated. This form must be completed and signed (no e-signatures are allowed) by the individual/vendor. Please note, the Vendoring Department will not accept the Form W-9: Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification in lieu of the UC Berkeley Substitute W-9 & Supplier Information Form. Important: Since the documentation is required in advance for Independent Contractors, please submit documentation at least 2 weeks prior to the begin date of service to allow for sufficient time for processing and to avoid after the fact payments.

  • Honorarium: A one-time payment granted in recognition of a special service or distinguished achievement for which propriety precludes setting a fixed price, such as a special lecture, participation in a workshop or panel discussion, or similar activities. Please remember to attach flyer or announcement. For more information and guidelines for honorarium payments, please visit:

  • Participant Support (including Stipend): An individual who is receiving a service or training opportunity from a workshop, conference, seminar, symposium, or other short-term instructional or information sharing activity funded by a sponsored award. Participant support costs items: Participant allowance, supplies, per diem, travel expenses and/or registration fees paid to or on behalf of participants connection in activity of project. For more information for Participant Support/Stipend payments, please visit:

  • Independent Contractor: An individual or entity that performs a specific service for the UC based on a set price, pursuant to a scope of work and deliverables set by the UC, prior to when the service begins. Examples of services: Printing services, web/graphic design, transcription, freelance writer, etc. For more information for Independent Contractors, please visit:

  • Independent Contractor - After the Fact: An Independent Contractor who commenced services without prior authorization/approval from Procurement Department and/or Risk Services is considered after the fact and an after the fact justification must be completed. For more information on after the fact payments for Independent Contractors, please visit:

If the payee is a UCB employee, please contact the BSO before the service begins; the payee’s eligibility to receive such payments will first need to be determined. If the payee is a foreign national, additional forms are required. Refer to for instructions and forms to complete. A Glacier Information form must be completed when foreign nationals receive payments from UC Berkeley, if services were performed in the U.S. For payments to foreign nationals, please include the additional form(s) for the following payment types:

  • Honorarium: UC W-8BEN and Certification of Academic Activity
  • Participant Support/Stipend: UC W-8BEN
  • Independent Contractor: UC W-8BEN and Form 8233 Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent Personal Services

If the individual/vendor does not have insurance but the services provided will cost over $4,999, the individual/vendor will have to purchase insurance through UC Broker by either applying for insurance online at: or by completing the Vendor Liability Application Form included in the attachment named Independent Contractor over 5K purchase insurance.



Honorarium Payment Form (Fill-in form)
Participant Support Stipend Payment
Independent Contractor Pre-Hire Worksheet
Independent Contractor under 5K with insurance Form
Independent Contractor under 5K no insurance (Fill-in form)
Independent Contractor over 5K purchase insurance Form
Independent Contractor over 5K with insurance Form
Independent Contractor After the Fact Form (Fill-in form)
Certificate of Foreign Status for Federal Tax Withholding (UC W-8BEN) (Fill-in form)
Certification of Academic Activity (Fill-in form)
Form 8233 (Fill-in form)