The Education Minor consists of 3 components: a core required course, 3 units of fieldwork, and three electives.

1) Core Course - Educ 190AC/W190

Critical Studies in Education, the core course of the Minor, is required of all Education Minor students and is offered Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. It examines how learning environments can empower and disempower individuals and explores the role of education in the social construction of hierarchy, inequality, difference, identity, and power. It embodies a democratic philosophy and practice, creating a learning community that encourages students to take responsibility for their own education and learn through theory, experience, and dialogue. Students must engage in a community project.

During Fall and Spring semesters, Educ 190AC is offered as a 4 unit course. The community project within the course counts as 1 unit of required fieldwork for the Minor. Educ W190 is a web-based version of the core course and is offered during the Summer as well as during the Fall and Spring semesters. Educ W190 is available for 3 units, as it does not offer a project that counts towards the Minor's fieldwork requirement. Regardless of which semester you take the course, the class counts as the core course for the Minor.

Students must obtain a minimum C (2.0) grade in the core course for it to count for the Minor.

EDUC 190AC ENROLLMENT (Fall and Spring semesters)

There are 2 options for enrolling in Educ 190AC during Fall or Spring semesters: general enrollment or by permission number.

  • Permission Numbers: Enrollment in Educ 190AC by permission number is reserved for Education Minor declared upper division students (Juniors and Seniors). These students may reserve a space (permission number) in one of the sections of the class through the Education Minor Advisor. First come, first served. Actual enrollment in Educ 190AC by this method does not occur during Phase 1, as permission numbers will be distributed by email at the end of Phase 1, for enrollment during Phase 2.

    Education Minor declared lower division students, who cannot or choose not to enroll via general enrollment, may request from the Education Minor Advisor that their name be added to an internal wait list for the section desired. Students on an internal wait list for a permission number will be contacted if space is available. A back up class is recommended.

  • General enrollment: All students who want to enroll in Educ 190AC, whether Education minor declared or not, are welcome to enroll in the open spaces in each section and/or get on the wait list.

All enrolled and wait listed students who want to enroll MUST attend the first class session to retain/obtain enrollment in the class.

EDUC W190 ENROLLMENT (Summer, Fall and Spring semesters)

Enrollment in EDUC W190 is open to all students on a first come, first served basis. Education Minor students do not have priority.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact the Education Minor Advisor.


Three (3) units of minor approved field work are required of all Education Minor students. Students may complete all 3 units in the same field studies program or may enroll in 2 or 3 separate programs. Please note:

  • Students who complete Educ 190AC during the Fall or Spring semesters will need only 2 additional field units for the Minor. This is because Educ 190AC includes the equivalent of 1 unit of fieldwork within the course requirements during Fall and Spring semesters. This is not the case in the Summer semester (Educ N190) or with Educ W190, the online version of the course.

  • Educ 197 - Field Studies - This course, has several programs from which to choose. Most programs under Educ 197 are Ed Minor approved, but there are some that are not approved for the Minor, so make sure to enroll in one of the Education Minor Approved Field Studies (see below). All sections of Educ 197 are described in the Quicklist and Descriptions (see below). To obtain the class number for the program/section in which you are interested, contact the site coordinator for that program/section. As Educ 197 is a variable unit course, students may enroll in 1, 2 or 3 units of fieldwork within one semester. Forty-five (45) hours of fieldwork per semester is equivalent to 1 academic unit, 90 hours for 2 units, etc. Students who wish to continue a field program for units in a subsequent semester, may enroll in the same field program in a future semester. Educ 197 is P/NP grading.

  • Educ W144 - Practicum in Education - Students may choose to do some or all of their field units through this course, which has an online reflection component. Educ W144 is offered all 3 semesters, is a variable unit course, and can be repeated multiple times. A wide variety of education related fieldwork is possible through this course, including research, interning and suggesting your own placement. Students need to contact the course instructor to discuss about possible placements in advance of the start of the semester. A list of practicum sites currently partnering with Educ W144, along with the hours required per unit, is listed in the document at the bottom of this page.

  • Educ 140AC and W140A, two of the Minor electives, each have an equivalent of 1 unit of Minor approved fieldwork within the 4 units of the course. If you choose either of these electives, you would only need 2 more units of fieldwork.

  • Fieldwork outside the School of Education: There are 2 minor approved field studies programs outside of the School of Education: the Youth Mentorship Program through Asian American Studies 197 and a summer Global Internship program. Check the Ed Minor approved list of fieldwork as well as each semester's course list (see below) for these programs.

  • Summer Field work: Educ W144 is offered in the summer with a variety of placements available. You may also request a specific placement by contacting the instructor.

  • Petitioning field work: Students who complete field units that are not on the minor approved list should first meet with the Ed Minor Advisor. There is a petition process for fieldwork that is not approved for the Minor. Students will need to review the Education Minor Fieldwork Student Petition Policies & Procedures and submit the appropriate form. All petitions must be submitted and approved prior to graduation.


Three (3) elective courses chosen from the Education Minor Approved Course List (see PDF below) are required of all Education Minor students. This list states all the courses that are currently approved for the Minor. However, not all the elective courses on this list are offered every semester. Therefore, approved courses for each semester are also posted and should be reviewed carefully before selecting courses for a specific semester (see PDFs below).

Please note the following elective course policies:

  • Elective courses must be offered for at least 3 units.

  • A maximum of two (2) graduate level courses in Education may be used to meet the elective requirement.

  • Students who have completed or plan to complete an Education course as part of a UCB Education Abroad program, may be able to have it count toward the Education Minor elective requirement. The course must be in the Education Department of the university and equivalent to 3 semester credits. Notify the Minor Advisor if you would like to take advantage of this option.

  • From time to time, a course may be offered on campus that has significant educational content but is not on the Minor approved course list. If you have found such a course and would like to have it considered for one of your electives for the Minor, please contact the Minor Advisor about petitioning the course. A syllabus will be required.


  • All minor requirements must be completed by your degree date. Courses completed after your degree date can not be used for the Education Minor. If you anticipate getting an Incomplete in a course required for the minor, you can remove yourself from the current degree list by the end of the semester and add yourself to the degree list when you expect all requirements to be complete.

  • All course work must be taken at UC Berkeley. 

  • Three (3) of the five (5) courses taken for the Minor must be upper-division (courses numbered 100 and above). Please note that the three units of required field work are considered as one of the 5 courses.

  • EDUC 190 and all elective courses for the Minor must be taken for a letter grade.

  • Courses for the Minor must have a minimum overall grade-point average of 2.0.

  • Education 98/198 and Education 199 may NOT be used to satisfy any requirement for the Minor.

  • Only one (1) course may be used to satisfy course requirements for both the student's major and the Minor OR between two (2) Minor programs.


Contact the UME Minor Advisor in 2121 Berkeley Way, 2nd floor, Student Services at (510) 643-9303 or

Ed Minor Courses Spring 2019 (updated 12/10/18)

Ed Minor Courses Fall 2018 (updated 8/2/18)

Ed Minor Courses Summer 2018 (updated 2/1/18)

Ed Minor Approved Course List Titles (updated 11-2018)

Ed Minor Approved Field Studies (updated 11-1-18)

Educ W144: Practicum in Education Info (hours/sites 11-05-18)

Quicklist and Descriptions